Position - Professor
Institution - Sociology Department
Sociology Department, University of Crete, P.O. Box 91, Rethymno, Crete, 74100, GREECE
tel. +30 28310 77488 (office) or +30 28310 23646 (h)
E-Mail - email@example.com
Minas samatas holds a Ph.D. in sociology from New School for Social Research, NYC; currently Professor in the Sociology Department, University of Crete, Greece.
Research interests: Political sociology, Information Society, Internet (Cyber) Sociology, Surveillance Societies, Greek State & Society.
- Surveillance in Greece: From Anticommunist to Consumer Surveillance ( Pella, N.Y. 2004)
- Τhe Athens 2004 Olympics : Studies in Surveillance, Security and Scandal, N.Y. Pella, 2012 (forthcoming).
- Facets of New Surveillance: International and Greek approaches, Vivliorama Athens 2010 (in Greek).
- SURVEILLANCE AND DEMOCRACY, coedited with Kevin Haggerty, Routledge, Oxon UK, 2010.
Selected publications on Surveillance:
- “Studying Surveillance in Greece: Methodological and other problems related to an authoritarian surveillance culture” Surveillance and Society, 3 (2/3) Dec. 2005.
- “Security and Surveillance in the Athens 2004 Olympics: Some lessons from a troubled story” International Criminal Justice Review, September,2007 17:220.
- «From Thought-Control to the Traffic-Control: A comparison of traditional and new surveillance” in Surveillance and Governance: Crime Control and Beyond. Edited by Deflem, Mathieu , Volume 10, Sociology of Crime, Law, and Deviance, Amsterdam: Elsevier 2008, pp.345-369.
- “The Greek Olympic phone tapping scandal: A defenseless state and a week democracy, in Surveillance and Democracy, edited by Haggerty, K. & M. Samatas, Routledge, 2010, pp. 213-230.
- “SURVEILLING THE 2004 ATHENS OLYMPICS IN THE AFTERMATH OF 9/11: INTERNATIONAL PRESSURES AND DOMESTIC IMPLICATIONS” In volume Security Games: Surveillance and Control at Mega-Events, edited by Colin J. Bennett and Kevin D. Haggerty, Routledge, 2011, pp. 55-71.
- EUROPEAN ʽSECURITIZATIONʼ POLICIES AND THE SOUTHERN ʽFORTRESS-EUROPEʼ in volume CONTESTED MEDITERRANEAN SPACES: Essays in Honour of Charles Tilly edited by Kousis Maria, Selwyn Tom & Clark David, Berghahn Books , 2011, pp.35-54
- “SURVEILLANCE LEGACY, MODERNISATION AND CONTROVERSY IN CONTEMPORARY GREECE” in Crime & Punishment in contemporary Greece: International comparative perspectives, edited by Cheliotis L. K. & Xenakis S. , Peter Lang, Oxford, 2011 pp. 421- 442.
- “Surveillance in Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008: A comparison of the Olympic surveillance modalities and legacies in two different Olympic host regimes” URBAN STUDIES, November 2011.
Research Networks and Activity: